Friday, May 14, 2010

To Be 16 Again

Today's post was originally going to be my top 10 movie couples to follow the top 10 TV couples, but it changed after I read my "God Issue" for the day. It's a daily devotional that emailed every morning by Dr. James Denison. Today it was titled "To Be 16 Again". Yes, today's post is long, but it's good.

Dr. Denison began the devotional this morning with this story:

When Guerdwich Montimere turned 22, he posed as a 16-year old so he could play high school basketball again. Today's NPR website reports that Mr. Montimere enrolled at Permian High School in Odessa, Texas under the name "Jerry Joseph," telling authorities that he was a homeless Haitian youth.

He quickly became a standout on the team, which makes sense, as he is older than some NBA players. He was a Florida high school basketball star in his previous life; some coaches from his time in the state recognized him at a recent tournament in Arkansas and confronted him last Tuesday.

At first he denied that he was who they said he was, before finally admitting his deception. Charged with presenting false identification to a peace officer, he was taken to the Ector County Detention Center. He has now been released on bail.


Then, he asked the inevitable question: what would you do differently if you were 16 again? The question hit me like a ton of bricks.

I love high-school kids...I have a passion for them and a big part of me longs to be in my teens again. Yes, I watch those high-school shows like One Tree Hill (one my personal favorites) and Glee, and sometimes even Gossip Girl. I feel like I live vicariously through them somehow. I love movies about high-school and college life. For me, its all a part of discovering who you are and who you will be.

I think that if I had to be 16 again, I would do things alot differently! I would wait on the Lord instead of jumping into things...I would seek Him in everything, rather than in just the things I "needed help" with...I would TRUST Him! I will confide in you that I am NOT the woman that I want to be...I long to be much more than I am. I want to have purpose! I long to be someone special. More than anything right now, I feel sinful, not special.

Dr. Denison reminded me though, that the good news is that he forgives all I confess to him in a spirit of genuine repentance. He separates my sins as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12), hurling them into the depths of the sea (Micah 7:19) and remembering them no more (Isaiah 43:25).

The even better news is that he stands ready to use my life, flaws and all, for his eternal purposes. I may never see the larger significance of present faithfulness, but he does.

I can't be 16 again, but I can serve my God TODAY! I can be faithful TODAY! My sins don't have to remember because He has forgiven them!

So now I ask you the question: What would you do differently if you were 16 again?

No comments:

Post a Comment