Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 17: 31 Days of Rest

Have you ever had one of those weeks that just never seems to stop?  Heck, forget weeks, I'm going through an entire phase of life when I feel like nothing ever stops.  Get up and get dressed, get the kids up, go to work, come home, make dinner, bath time, put kids to bed, clean up the kitchen, pick up the toys, go to bed, and do it all over the next day, and the day after, and the day after...you get the picture. 

"But you have the weekends..."  you might say to me.  Well, not exactly because weekends are for actually cleaning not just the picking up I do during the week, and for laundry, and for birthday parties, and grocery shopping, and running errands, and everything else that didn't get done during the week. 

I feel like I never get to rest.  This weekend I found myself simply exhausted, a place that I feel like I've been for quite some time now, but there really isn't an end in sight.  But this is life. This is where the Lord has me.  This is exactly where I'm supposed to be.  So I suck it up, and do the very best that I can. 

So when I came across this series in my search for my 31 favorites, I knew instantly that it was for me. 
http://www.oneordinaryday.com/category/rest/

Ashley, from One Ordinary Day, wrote this series back in 2011.  Day 5 has to be one of my favorites because it actually  made me stop and think "Am I not resting because it's not a priority?  And if that's true, then what are my priorities?"  We are reminded in day 6 that the Lord created a day specifically for rest.  Rest gives up strength, it reminds us to be still, and it clears our heads, hearts and souls.  Rest is important!  

I guess this series reminded me that life doesn't have to be perfect.  My house doesn't have to always be spic and span...it's ok for things to be out place.  My home is lived in by four people, two of those are tiny little people who love to explore and play and its ok that my home represents that.  I need some rest.  It gives my mothering heart the patience my children need and deserve; it gives my soul strength to be the wife my husband longs for; it gives my head the mind clarity to prioritize my life the way it needs to be.

So maybe I should take a few days off this week and just rest

Want to join me?

4 comments:

Lynnae McCoy said...

I love the idea of rest as a priority. That's something I needed to hear, as I start a new week exhausted. I really needed to rest over the weekend, but I didn't. :/

Ronne said...

What a precious reminder. Yes to rest. My soul needs it right now.

jviola79 said...

It is amazing how we need "rest" every week. May you find or should I say make the time to give yourself rest & just be for a time. It can be as simple as a cup of tea with your feet up & a good book for a 1/2 hour that I find restorative. I am visiting from the 31 Dayers FB site today :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Hope you find some surprising moments of rest.

Fondly,
Glenda

Post a Comment