Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 10: 31 Days of Toddler Chores

So this may be a touchy subject for some, but I think its a great one!  Any momma (whether a SAHM or working mom) knows that keep a clean and tidy house can be a daunting, and some might say impossible, task.  If you're anything like me, from the time you get home to the time you go to bed, you find yourself making dinner, cleaning up, bathing kids, cleaning up after kids, picking up toys, putting children to bed, picking up all the other "stuff", then you get to go to bed only to wake up and do it all over again.  It's hard, it's exhausting, but we do it because we love our kids, our husbands, and a clean home. 

So when I found today's series, I was really excited.  Nikki over at Intentional Homeschool did a great 31 day series back in 2013:  31 Days of Toddler Chores. 

http://intentionalhomeschool.com/31-days-of-toddler-chores/

I love the fact that Nikki starts this series by first addressing why toddlers should do chores, then proceeds to give us 25 days of chores that toddlers can do.  Now let's be realistic, a toddler may not do the best job at it, but it's something! 

Just this past weekend, Sunday evening to be exact, I looked at my sweet dear husband sitting on the sofa as I was trying to pick up every item in my house that was out of place.  I decided that I was only going to pick up for 10 minutes, then I would be done...just done!  I WAS going to relax and enjoy just a few minutes snuggling beside him on that comfortable while my girls played.  And the thought occurred to me that I could get a lot more picked up if I had 4 hands versus 2, so I ever-so-sweetly asked my husband for a "10-Minute Pick Up."  Then, Emmalee came in the room and I decided 6 hands would be even better than 4.  So we deiced to establish the Williams Family 10-Minute Pick-up!

It was GREAT.  Emmalee at first at me like I was insane, probably because my eyes were about to pop out of my head from sheer joy at the whole family's (minus the infant) participation in cleaning the house, but she quickly bounced into action picking up her shoes, toys, clothes, and anything else we asked her to do.  It was fantastic!  After 10 minutes, we all felt a huge sense of accomplishment, and this momma was beyond thrilled!  The next night after bath time it was daddy who said "Okay, time for 10-minute pick-up" and again we all helped get the house before we all went to bed. 

It was during all of this that I think I realized that my 3- year old is quite capable of chores.  She needs to learn responsibility and a hard work ethic, and now is the best time to begin instilling these principles in her. 

So I hope you enjoy Nikki's series as much as I did!  If you have any other chores that your child does, or that have been helpful in your home, PLEASE let me know!  I'd love to know how your toddler helps you!

6 comments:

Jennifer Pepito said...

Great post. My youngest help out with picking up as well, and they always love cleaning windows with vinegar spray.

Wendy said...

My 31 days are on my favorite things as well! Love this post. I have three boys ages 6, 8, 10 and the 10 year old was recently bemoaning the fact he has considerably more chores than his brothers, so I suggested it's time he starts get a more allowance if they are all done without grumbling. He liked that idea a lot!

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed your post and sharing the "family chores" concept. My 3 children had their share of chores when they were growing up; they are all adults and parents themselves now...and I love to watch my 3 1/2 year old grandson help his mommy out with his 1 1/2 year old brother and 3 month old sister!! She definitely NEEDS his help...and I love that your whole family gets in on it. Thanks for sharing!

The Momma said...

What a great idea! Our youngest is about to be 2 years old and I know she could do some very simple things. Our oldest two girls (ages almost 8 and 7) could use a lesson in this as well. The whining over picking up drives me batty and this might be a good way to nix the whining! Thanks for the ideas!

Sara Borgstede said...

We have 5 kids and I'm a huge believer in everyone in the family participating in chores. Besides helping me, it's really important for teaching the kids how to run a house. My oldest is 18 and she is able to do most everything now -- cooking, laundry, cleaning, watching a baby. It's a pain when they are younger, but it's worth the effort. Keep at it!

Lauren said...

My 11 year old was taught as a toddler to pick up after himself and for the most part his room is the cleanest room in the house. Love the idea of a 10 minute pickup.. that's applicable and easy for anyone!

Post a Comment