Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Not that I ever disliked oatmeal, but for some reason I am all of the sudden in love with it.  Maybe its because it is on-key for a low-point, but still delicious, Weight Watchers breakfast; or maybe its just because I actually "learned" how to cook it...and by learned I mean I just make up my own recipe and liked it!

So, I just thought I would share with you how I make a delicious, but simple and easy, Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal.



For 4 servings
Ingredients:
2 sweet apples (I use Gala or Fuji), diced (up to you whether skin is on or off). (This is a perfect opportunity to use that last apple or two that is a little too soft to eat, but you don't want to waste). 
3 TBSP of butter, Divided (1 TBSP & 2 TBSP)
1 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar, divided (1/2 & 1/2)
Handful of nuts (I prefer almonds or pecans)
Optional:  Raisins (it is delicious with or without)
Instant Oats (Use per instructions on the box)

In a saute pan, melt 1 TBSP of butter.  Add your apples.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes to all apples to begin to soften.  Add in your cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 your brown sugar, and nuts.  Continue to cook on medium heat for about 3-4 more minutes.   You want your apples to be soft, but not mushy.

Cook your oatmeal per the instructions on the box or can.  Once its is completely cooked, add 2 TBSP butter, other half of brown sugar. Stir together.  Once mixed, add apples and nut (and any other ingredient you like).  Taste.  If needed, you can add a little more brown sugar or cinnamon to reach your preferred sweetness. 

Hope you Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tricia Nae said...

I'm not a big oatmeal fan either..but it may be because I just do those little packets and it feels like goo. Ha. BUT...this looks good. C loves oatmeal...might have to try this out for him!

Anonymous said...

YUM! And so healthy!

Post a Comment