Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade Apple Fritters



Yesterday I was looking for a dessert to make, but I was low on quite a few "dessert" ingredients (like vanilla).  So I used one of my favorite websites, www.supercook.com, to enter all of the things I did have to see what I could make.  I found this apple fritter recipe and it was great! 

Here is the recipe, but I changed it up a bit, so here is my recipe:


  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 TSBP baking powder
  • 2/3cup milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 large, or 4 small, apples (I used a few fuji and a granny smith). I peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces.
  • 1 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Cinnamon & sugar mixture (roughly 1/4 cup white sugar, 2 TBSP cinnamon)
  • 2 cups vegetable oil or shortening melted for the frying
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together first 6 ingredients (the dry ingredients, milk, and eggs.  Add in apples and 1 TBSP vegetable oil.  Mix until apples are evenly distributed.
  2. Heat oil or shortening in a pan or skillet - I used a large saucepan so that the oil would cover more of the fritter. I was able to fry about 3-4 at a time.  Heat until "smoking", then turn down to medium heat.
  3. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes each side depending on the size. Fry in smaller batches so they are not crowded. Remove from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.\
  4. Toss with cinnamon sugar mixture while warm.

For the caramel sauce, I  just used caramel ice cream topping.  I put it in a bowl and added a bit of milk to thin it out, microwaved and about 15 second, then drizzled it onto the fritters.  This was so delicious and easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment