Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Today at our office, a team from our insurance company came in and did a special meeting called "Know Your Numbers" about the importance of knowing your cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, BMI and body fat %. After the meeting, the took you measurements and got your numbers for you, and of course explained what all of your numbers meant. In the grand scheme of losing weight and becoming more healthy, it is so important to knows these numbers so you can measure your success in multiple ways - not just on the scale, or by your clothes.

Well the good news is that my cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure are all at great levels. I could of course increase my HDL (the good cholesterol - or Drano for your blood vessels if you will), but it is still at a good number.

However, the bad is that my body fat % is high. The average (or healthy range) for a female my age is between 14-23%. I however, am over 30!

The ugly is of course my BMI! As embarassed as I am to share this, I will simply because I know that in doing so, I will pumped to share with you again at the end of my 20/20 challenge. So, (blushin) my BMI is 29.8. This is .2 points away from being considered obese - completely different from being overweight. Literally, I tell you this with tears stinging my eyes because never in my life have I been as big as I now...and I don't even remember how I got here. I got married, I guess...but I know that it still isn't an excuse.

A dear and precious friend of mine names Melissa just got engaged and she has asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. I, of course, gladly accepted the invitation, yet knew that I would not be the same person in her wedding that I am today. Luckily, her wedding is not until August of 2010 (her fiance needs to first finish his first year of law school); therefore, I have the same amount of time to take the weight off as I did putting it on!

So, the ultimate challenge is to lose 30 lbs by the end of 2009, and keep the weight off through August 2010.

I have NO doubt in my mind that this is completely acheiveable, but I will tell you now that I desperately need accountability. My sister is a member of Lifetime Fitness and has been begging me to join her. Finally this week, I asked Brant if I could join and he of course told me yes. To make things even better, my sister actually AGREED to get up with me and workout at 5:30 AM (on the mornings that Michale is home to watch the babies that is)!!!! What a sister!!!!

So I begin this journey of weight loss...but I need a treat - something to set myself in motion. What do you think my treat should be????


This picture was taken by my sister last night. This is Brant and I - both at our biggest.



These are pictures of Brant and I when we first started dating. We were both much, much smaller in size. (FYI - I am one the farthest to the left in the pic of the girls.) I am going to put these pictures of us one my refrigerator as a reminder to both of us that we HAVE to lose weight and keep ourselves healthy.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can! I'm so proud of you for being honest and for the determination you have! I know of lots of people who are in the same situation right now - realizing that we have to take control of our health. So, you're not the only one braving this battle! I cannot wait to read/hear about your progress!!

Amanda said...

Your treat should be a new pair of tennis shoes and a pack of cushy new socks!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of treats that make you feel good. Like a pedicure or manicure, or massage, or even just a new book or magazine.

Hang in there! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I think you should treat yourself everytime you lose 10 pounds, so three treats along the way isn't too shabby! The treat should be a day of pamper, massage, pedi, mani? Pick me if you need a friend to join you, i can ALWAYS treat myself to a day of PAMPERING!! ha! :) So proud of you getting up at 5:30 too! GOOD LUCK, i know you can do it! :)

Melissa said...

Ashley, my heart aches with you!! I definitely know how you feel, which is one reason I started weigh in Wednesday. You just have to keep with it, it will come off I know it!!! I am still struggling with choosing the good food over the junk food I want and getting to the gym in the am. That's awesome your sister is going to join you!! I will be praying for you, pray for me too!

Jennifer said...

I think the comment above is a good idea of treating yourself every 10 lbs. That makes the treat a little closer to reach and will keep you motivated along the way!

Rach said...

I'm so with you girl! Derek and I are getting it in gear. I think maybe I'll do a similar post. 3 weeks ago, I was 10 pounds away from 9 months pregnant(with Hud), so I have about 35 pounds to lose! I think Melissa's idea is good. Or a big trip to a beach somewhere to show off your new bod! That's what we are doing! That and I just got a new pair of tennis shoes and workout outfit to help with the motivation! Good idea about putting the pic on your refrigerator! Constant reminders as you're reaching for ice cream is good! :) You can do it! I know it!

Post a Comment