Thursday, July 18, 2013

White Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken

If you follow me on Twitter (awilliams0720) then you saw me post a picture of our dinner on Tuesday night.  I tried a new recipe that I found here for White Wine and Tomato Braised Chicken Thighs.  It was delicious...if you like white wine and tomatoes...which I DO!!!!!!

Great party of this dish - you do most of the cooking in the crockpot! SCORE!

You can, of course, follow the recipe as found in the link, or you can do it the way I did (because I love wine and didn't have fennel.)  But regardless of how you make it, TRY IT!  You WON'T regret it!

Ingredients:
6-8 skinned and trimmed chicken thighs (and yes, the meat will fall off the bone) TIP: mine were only partially thawed because I knew they would be in the crockpot over the cooking time and I didn't want them to be dry)
4 slices of bacon
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay) 
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Oregano
a few by leaves
2 cans stewed tomatoes, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
In a skillet, either cook your bacon in slices then chop, or cut your bacon and then fry it up (I did the later).  Once your bacon is nice and crispy, drain off about 1/2 the fat, then add your onions.  Let your onions sautee in the grease for about 3-4 minutes.  Then add your  white wine.  Bring to a boil for just a minute to get all the bacon bits off the bottom.

To prepare your crockpot, spray with a non-stick spray, then add your chicken thighs to the bottom.

Add all of your spices to the bacon, wine, and onion mixture, then pour over the chicken in the crockpot.  Add your chopped tomatoes.

Let cook in your crockpot for 4-6 hours on low (or 3-4 hours on high).  I had mine "cook" for 5 hours on low, then it was on the "keep warm" feature for the rest of the day.  It was perfect!!!


 I served this over white rice, with green beans on the side and garlic bread on the side.  I loved it!!!  Try it out and let me know what you think!!!

CrockPot 4Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment