Thursday, August 5, 2010

Await Your Reply

Today I finished my latest book, Await Your Reply, by Dan Chaon.

This book was definitely different, and not a personal favorite. The story follows three different people: a man named Miles trying to search for his long-lost twin brother, Ryan a guy who decides to reinvent himself when he realizes he was adopted, and Lucy a girl who runs off with her high school teacher to a deserted motel.

For me, this book was extremely difficult to follow. First of all, there are three completely separate story lines, and within each storyline, the author goes from past to present, from past to present. I was constantly having to go back and remind myself about which character I was reading.

Although the author does do a good job of entangling the three stories, I felt that his writing style just made reading the book more of a challenge than an enjoyment. I was originally going to stop reading after a few chapters, but I was too intrigued to find out how the whole thing came together...so I kept reading.

If you are a person who enjoys a good web of chaos or reading a challenging book, than this is a book for you. However, if you are like me and just like reading for sheer enjoyment, than this book probably shouldn't be on the top of your reading list.

But tonight, I am looking forward to picking up my next book...although, I'm not quite sure what book it will be! I need to go exploring in the "library".

No comments:

Post a Comment